La Fée X•S Suisse, an Extra Supérieure Swiss Absinthe
La Fée X•S Suisse, a wine based amer absinthe distilled in the birthplace of absinthe: Couvet, Val-de-Travers, Switzerland.
Extra Superior absinthe was historically distilled using a high proportion of herbs, including wormwood (Artemisia absinthium) and a wine alcohol base. For our premium La Fée X•S range the importance of those methods, along with sourcing the best distillers in the historical homelands of absinthe, were paramount.
La Fée X•S Suisse is produced in the small town of Couvet in the Val-de-Travers region of Switzerland and it is here absinthe production began in 1792. Time was spent creating a recipe to reflect those top quality absinthes of the 19th century and the whole distillation process is carried out by hand and monitored closely to ensure consistency throughout. The finest aromatic plants, including locally grown wormwood (Artemesia absinthium), along with a grape alcohol base are carefully distilled in small quantities creating an absinthe that is highly elegant and perfectly balanced.
La Fée XS Suisse gets its unique characteristics from the high proportion of herbs used, and a slight change in the ingredients would dramatically alter its final flavour.
Each distillation takes place in small copper stills that have the capacity to produce just over 100 bottles. The wine alcohol, herbs and plants, including the wormwood are soaked in the stills overnight resulting in a beautifully scented mixture. Just before the distillation process begins, natural spring water straight from the Swiss mountains of the Val-de-Travers region is added to reduce the alcohol levels. For many hours the stills gently extract the distillate, too fast or slow would alter the flavour dramatically.
The distilled X•S is now at 76% abv and is left to mature. Bottling can not take place until the Swiss authorities have measured the weight and alcohol, after which purified natural spring water is added to reduce the alcohol level to 53%.
This extra supérieure Swiss absinthe is a clear "La Bleue" with a smooth texture and delicate anise and herb flavour that lingers elegantly on the palate.
It is best enjoyed by slowly adding three to four parts iced water creating a swirl of opalescent colour finishing with a beautiful milky white texture and releasing an array of intense aromas. Its perfect balance means that, as is Swiss tradition, sugar is not needed.
- As well as a wine alcohol base, the finest aromatic plants are used, including locally grown grand wormwood (Artemisia absinthium)
- Distilled by hand in small quantities using traditional recipe and distillation (120 bottles per distillation)
- Traditional Swiss serving, slowly add 3-4 parts iced water no sugar is needed
- A clear "La Bleue" absinthe that louches to a milky white when water is added
- Each bottle is presented in a gift box with hand-written certificate as standard
- The XS range is classified as an amer, meaning a substantially higher level of wormwood is used
- Traditional 53%abv 70clbottle size